The Wetumpka 21st Century Community Learning Center is at the Wetumpka Middle School.
1000 Micanopy Street
Wetumpka, AL 36092
Ewell Fuller, Site Director
This program supports the creation of community learning centers that provide academic enrichment opportunities during non-school hours for children. The program helps students meet state and local student standards in core academic subjects, such as reading and math; offers students a broad array of enrichment activities that can complement their regular academic programs; and offers literacy and other educational services to the families of participating children.
The grant that we received for this program establishes that:
Each eligible entity that receives an award from the state may use the funds to carry out a broad array of before- and after-school activities (including those held during summer recess periods) to advance student achievement.
These activities include:
· Remedial education activities and academic enrichment learning programs, including those that provide additional assistance to students to allow the students to improve their academic achievement;
· Mathematics and science education activities;
· Arts and music education activities;
· Entrepreneurial education programs;
· Tutoring services, including those provided by senior citizen volunteers, and mentoring programs;
· Programs that provide after-school activities for limited English proficient (LEP) students that emphasize language skills and academic achievement;
· Recreational activities;
· Telecommunications and technology education programs;
· Expanded library service hours;
· Programs that promote parental involvement and family literacy;
· Programs that provide assistance to students who have been truant, suspended, or expelled to allow them to improve their academic achievement;
· Drug and violence prevention programs;
· Counseling programs; and
• Character education programs.